Spring Maintenance Checklist for Homeowners
Spring is finally here, and that means it’s time to start thinking about home maintenance. After a long, colder than usual winter here in the Greater Phoenix region, your home is likely in need of some TLC. Whether you’re a first-time homeowner or an experienced one, it’s important to take the necessary steps to ensure your home is well-maintained. That’s why we put together this spring maintenance checklist for homeowners to help you get started:
- Check your roof: Winter weather can be tough on your roof, so it’s a good idea to inspect it for any damage or wear and tear. Look for missing or damaged shingles, and check the flashing around your chimney and vents. Catching any issues early on is crucial as your roof is a key component in protecting the inside of your home.
- Clean gutters and downspouts: Clogged gutters can cause water damage to your home, so it’s important to clean them out at least once a year. Use a ladder to remove any leaves or debris, and make sure the downspouts are clear and flowing properly. This is an important task to take care of before Monsoon season hits.
- Inspect your HVAC system: Spring is a great time to have your HVAC system inspected and serviced. A professional technician can check for any issues, clean your system, and ensure it’s running efficiently. This is also a good time to replace your air filter.
- Water heater flush: Sediment can build up in your water heater over time, which can reduce its efficiency and lifespan. Flushing the tank can help remove any sediment and improve its performance. Be sure to hire a professional plumbing company to do this as each water heater has specific manufacturer instruction on proper techniques.
- Check windows and doors: Check your windows and doors for any drafts or leaks. Replace any damaged weather stripping or caulking to keep your home energy-efficient. With the heat in Phoenix, it is crucial to have well insulated doors and windows, helping keep your cool air in and the hot air out!
- Inspect outdoor spaces: Check your outdoor spaces for any damage caused by winter weather, such as cracked concrete or damaged fences. Clean up any debris and start planning your spring landscaping.
- Check smoke and carbon monoxide detectors: Replace batteries in your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, and test them to ensure they’re working properly.
- Schedule a pest inspection: Spring is a popular time for pests to come out of hiding, so it’s a good idea to schedule a professional pest inspection to ensure your home is protected.
- Clean and declutter: Finally, give your home a good spring cleaning and decluttering. This will not only make your home look and feel better, but it can also improve your indoor air quality.
By following this spring maintenance checklist, you can ensure that your home is in tip-top shape for the warmer months ahead. Don’t forget to include A/C maintenance and water heater flush in your checklist for a more comprehensive and efficient home maintenance routine! If you are located in the Greater Phoenix region, you can contact Hansen Family Plumbing & Air for A/C maintenance and a water heater flush!