GARBAGE DISPOSAL REPAIRS IN GREATER PHOENIX
Your garbage disposal is a convenience feature in your home, helping to keep your kitchen clean and neat between and after meal preparation. However, hard or large quantities of food can clog the sink or grind the disposal to a halt. As a result, the waste will drain slowly or stop completely. This can lead to a backup of waste, filling your kitchen with an unpleasant odor. If you need help with garbage repair or replacement in Mesa, Chandler, Gilbert, Tempe, Scottsdale & surrounding areas, there’s only one contractor to call – Hansen Family Plumbing.
Our professional plumbing team can quickly diagnose the problem to find out if your garbage disposal needs a repair or replacement. A local family-owned and -operated company in Tempe, we are insured, licensed, certified, and have the right experience to fix the problem with no fuss.
SIGNS THAT YOU NEED TO REPAIR OR REPLACE YOUR GARBAGE DISPOSAL
Quickly identifying that there’s a problem with your garbage disposal can help prevent further damage. Contact the best garbage disposal repair and replacement team immediately if you notice the following signs.
- Humming sounds
- Waste and odor leakage
- Blade jamming
- Slow or no draining
- Small flies in and around the drain
- Backing up of waste and water
- Longer operating time
COMMON CAUSES OF GARBAGE DISPOSAL PROBLEMS
Garbage disposals are tough machines that can shred most foods and organic materials, but there are a few things that can cause it to stop working or fail completely. Here are the most common reasons a garbage disposal will stop running:
- The motor overheats and trips a safety switch
- The impellers are jammed due to bones, fibrous materials, or foreign objects
- The garbage disposal is jammed due to solidified cooking oil and grease
- The circuit breaker trips while grinding tough materials
- The motor fails due to worn brushes or shorted windings
Need help finding the cause of a garbage disposal failure? Contact our team at Hansen Family Plumbing and Air today.
ITEMS TO AVOID PLACING IN THE GARBAGE DISPOSAL
Most foods are perfectly safe for the garbage disposal, but there are a few that are known to cause problems or can even lead to premature failure of your garbage disposal. At Hansen Family Plumbing, we recommend keeping the following items out of your garbage disposal:
- Bones – Bones from chicken, pork chops, and other foods can easily cause the impellers to jam.
- Coffee grounds – These can coalesce into hard lumps that cause jamming.
- Pasta – Mixed with water, pasta can expand and cause clogs or jamming.
- Oatmeal and other grains – Oatmeal can swell up when water is added, causing clogs.
- Fibrous materials – The skins, pits, and fibrous parts of bananas, peaches, onions, celery, potatoes, pumpkins, and other fruits and vegetables can easily become tangled in the impeller and cause jamming.
- Eggshells – The shell membrane may tangle around the impeller can cause a jam.
- Grease – Cooking oils and grease can solidify and cause clogs.
- Nuts or cooked beans – When ground, nuts and beans can create a paste that jams the impellers or causes clogs.
For more tips on protecting the garbage disposal in your Mesa home, contact our team today.
TROUBLESHOOTING GARBAGE DISPOSAL PROBLEMS
Need help with your garbage disposal? Here are some troubleshooting tips for the most common problems and solutions that can help you avoid the cost of an unnecessary service call:
Fixing a jammed garbage disposal – Never place your hands in a garbage disposal. With the power off, use the included wrench or an equivalent Allen wrench to turn the impeller from the bottom, back and forth, loosening any jammed materials. Then use tongs or pliers to remove them, or flush them out with water. If the Allen wrench won’t turn, it is best to call a professional.
Resetting a tripped breaker – If the garbage disposal lost power while running, reset the breaker by turning it off, then back on.
Resetting an overheated motor – When the garbage disposal motor overheats, allow the unit to cool, then press the reset button to restore power.
Contact us today for more garbage disposal troubleshooting tips!
REPAIRING OR REPLACING A GARBAGE DISPOSAL
When your garbage disposal is only a few years old and does not have any leaks or major problems, repairs are usually the best option. If it is over 10 years old, it is leaking, the impellers are worn or dull, or it needs frequent repairs, it is probably best to replace it. While it may be tempting to install a new garbage disposal yourself, it involves working with both electricity and plumbing, so it is best left to an experienced professional. At Hansen Family Plumbing, we offer fast, affordable garbage disposal replacements and repairs throughout the Mesa, Tempe, and Phoenix areas.
Contact us today to schedule garbage disposal repairs or replacements in Mesa, AZ.
GET RELIABLE GARBAGE DISPOSAL REPAIR AND REPLACEMENT IN TEMPE TODAY
No matter the make, model, and brand of your garbage disposal, our team will repair it. We can also help you install a new one that can grind almost all sizes of food. Call us at (602) 805-4836 to request a free no-obligation quote for your garbage disposal repair and replacement in Tempe today.